New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, March 17, 2014

Pesmol Fish - Fish Week #1


Creamy fried fish from Indonesia.
The creaminess came from the candlenut and the coconut milk. Very rich.

I saw that there are Betawi versions and Javanese versions. I don't know which version mine belong to. Kindly enlighten me.
I also saw some uses carp, Tilapia and some used Indian mackerel, so I made a guess that the type of fish is not critical for this dish.





The salam leaves we have here seem to be different I think, as it's usually eaten raw with sambal. I tasted it, there was no special taste or smell to the local salam leaves. So, my dish, might not taste like the one in Indonesia.

I do hope that one day I will get some real salam leaves from Indonesia :)
or I shall hope I get to find some here, kind of elusive eh... or maybe they go with another name, like how kencur is cekur here?



Pesmol Fish
Adapted from Singgahsana Kitchen

2 Mackerel Steaks (around 500gm)
Black pepper and some salt

1 Tbsp lime juice
200ml coconut milk + 50ml water

Grind to as paste
5 candlenuts
3 red chillies
1 Tbsp galangal (eyeball)
1 Tbsp ginger (eyeball)
1 tsp turmeric root (eyeball)
2 shallots
1 clove garlic

Tear
2 salam leaves
2 kaffir lime leaves

Split and bruise
5 bird's eye chilli
1 stalk lemongrass

1. Season fish with salt and black pepper. Fry the fish until golden. Dish up.
2. Add more oil to the pan/wok and saute the paste until fragrant and glossy (pecah minyak). Add in salam leaves, kaffir lime leaves, chilli and lemon grass.
3. Add in coconut milk and let it cook until thickens.
4. Season with lime juice, sugar, and salt.
5. Pour the gravy over the fried fish and serve.




I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indonesia Month

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...