New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Garam Masala - AFF Indian Subcontinent


Garam masala is a blend of spices and there are no fixed rules to it.

Garam means salt in Malay Language, but for the Indian cuisine, it meant "hot" and masala meant "spice" in Hindi. The composition of the spice blend depends on the region and personal taste, every household will have their own special mix of spices, toasted and ground to a fine powder.



Here... curry powder is used extensively to cook almost every Indian dish, seen in large packs at the local nasi kandar shops. But in real Indian cuisine.. curry powder is not used. It's garam masala and it differs according to the dishes cooked and no garam masala is more superior than any other.

I thought of buying some off the shelf..but decided not to, as the list of spices listed in them sounded too little, hahaha! And the important mace is usually not present in the spice list of commercial bottled ones.

The spices I used today are partially complimentary of Shaury Spices located in Damansara Utama.



Garam masala
Source: Chez Suchi

1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cardamom pods
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp fennel (I used green fennel)
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cumin
1 nutmeg (shell removed)
1 Indian black cardamom
few pieces of mace
2 pc of Indian bay leaf (Tej Patta)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon (not Chinese cinnamon or cassia)

1. Toast spices in oven (except cinnamon) at 150C until the spices start to give out aroma.
2. Let it cool down. Mill them until fine. Mix with cinnamon.
3. Keep them air tight (I keep them in fridge after bottling)





4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! I am very excited to try my hand at proper Indian food without the use of curry powder. I have not attempted any Indian dishes because just reading the ingredients list makes me tired. But this month I am going to challenge myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, I am living in USA. Where can you get the alkaline water? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pham,
    Sorry, I am many thousand miles away from US.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...